Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Well I went and did it


I have to make an admission here…

My daughter is back from Iraq on R&R which in fact is nearing an end. She and her boyfriend both planned to have tattoos done during their time at home. I had always been thinking about doing those things that were taboo when serving – including getting a tattoo…well there were three tattoo virgins at the start of last week and there are none now…

I guess I can kiss that Father of the year award goodbye… heck, who was I kidding, I was never in the running anyway…lol. Yes, we each got a tattoo done that was pertinent in design to our own taste.

Many soldiers, sailors, marines, etc… over the years have gotten tattoos. Tattoos have served as rites of passage, marks of status and rank, symbols of religious and spiritual devotion, decorations for bravery, sexual lures and marks of fertility, pledges of love, punishment, amulets and talismans, protection, and as the marks of outcasts, slaves and convicts.

For the three of us I guess it represented a rite of passage…all now having spent time in Iraq and serving our country. We are wearing our marks proudly and will all remember the event of our first tattoo.

No comments: