Friday, January 22, 2010

MNSTC-I cases its colors


My unit in Iraq has ceased operations – this information from Army describes the inactivation which occurred on New Year’s Day;

Lt. Gen. Michael D. Barbero, commander of Multi-National Security and Transition Command-Iraq commander rendered final honors and cased MNSTC-I’s colors, signifying the commands’ official inactivation.

“Though we are activating a new headquarters today,” said Odierno, USF-I commanding general, “the support we give our Iraqi partners will be no different than they received under MNF-I.”

MNF-I was established May 15, 2004, taking over command for Combined Joint Task Force 7 to handle all strategic-level operations for coalition forces contributing to OIF.

“Troops from 30 different countries served in the Multi-National Force-Iraq,” Air Force Maj. Dennis Kruse, master of ceremonies, said at the ceremony. The major subordinate commands included MNC-I, MNSTC-I, the Joint Contracting Command-Iraq, and TF 38, he added.

Along with MNF-I, MNC-I was also activated May 15, 2004, as the operational-level headquarters overseeing multi-national divisions and forces in Iraq, which included Multi-National Divisions North, South, and Baghdad, Multi- National Force-West, 13th Expeditionary Support Command and Combined Joint Special Operations Task Force, as well as 13 separate task forces, brigades and battalion-sized organizations.

To organize, train and equip Iraq’s military and police forces, MNSTC-I was established on June 28, 2004. Working closely with the Iraqi Ministries of Defense and Interior, MNSTC-I assisted in forming more than 250 Army and police battalions throughout the country.

“We’ve made tremendous strides together since the dark days of 2006, 2007,” Petraeus said. “The number of attacks per day, including Iraqi data, has been reduced from well over 200 per day in 2007, to fewer than 15 per day in recent months.”


I guess that means the mission of those organizations is done. From the time we in the 98th Divisioin (USAR) arrived as the first staff and soldiers in MNSTC-I in September 2004 through inactivation in 2010 MNSTC-I accomplished a lot. A great share of the organization was staffed by Reserve soldiers throughout its history. I hope that the success of a bunch of individuals from the Army Reserve deploying to a wartime command and completing mission is not lost to time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Agreed. I'm extremely proud of the hard work and professionalism MNSTC-I reservists and active componant Soldiers, Sailers, Marines and Airmen performed for many years.

During my tour at MNSTC-I we watched a fledgling nation ratify their constitution and hold it's first general election. And I watched the streets that were clogged with Marine checkpoints and barbed wire become open roads with shops and children playing.

If our job was Security Transition- like the patch says it was- I'd have to say we did that very very well.

-B

Anonymous said...

Agreed. I'm extremely proud of the hard work and professionalism MNSTC-I reservists and active componant Soldiers, Sailers, Marines and Airmen performed for many years.

During my tour at MNSTC-I we watched a fledgling nation ratify their constitution and hold it's first general election. And I watched the streets that were clogged with Marine checkpoints and barbed wire become open roads with shops and children playing.

If our job was Security Transition- like the patch says it was- I'd have to say we did that very very well.

-B

Anonymous said...

Loved reading your stuff. I hadn't realized MNSTC-I had decommissioned. Of course I've had other things going on since my 2 year tour over there... Under MNSTC-I.

Lance said...

I was with CPATT from May 2007 to May 2008 during the "surge". We had a lot of rocket and mortar attacks. My hooch on FOB Blackhawk was hit while I was still in it. Fortunately for me, the rocket didn't explode until after it passed through the roof, out the front, then hit the Believer's Palace just twenty feet away.

LTC Lance Cross